Unidentified 1935 - now identified!


This was the most difficult - but successful - identification so far. Listed on the HHT (now SLM) site as 'Unknown', I took the challenge.

I just knew this but couldn't place it, despite the changes of eighty years since. Was it from Woolloomooloo looking toward the Kings Cross Theatre? Was it a back street of Newtown or Redfern looking toward the rear of long-demolished shops?


By my knowledge of the history and geography of Sydney, I could tell by the size and decoration of the buildings at the top that they must have fronted a main road. That main road seemed angled to the back lane we're in. What's more, those high terrace houses, with the higher, decorated Victorian buildings beyond, gave an indication of looking up to a rising hill or ridge. With fifty or so years of having lived in inner-Sydney, I could rule out much. Then, with a few hunches, I went on Street View and eventually found it.

And here we are. No wonder I had such a hard time finding it. Despite the neighbourhood changing, the topography is the same. I'm so glad to have finally got there!




Comments